Dental fillings are applied to fill cavities and restore decayed teeth. Fillings are durable that enable the teeth to chew and grind, just like healthy teeth. But at times, these fillings can become loose.
How does a filling get damaged?
- Tooth decay due to a poor oral health
- Face trauma
- Teeth grinding or clenching
- Allergic reaction to filling material (like mercury, amalgam, silver)
- Chewing and biting hard or crunchy foods
If you feel like your dental filling is loose or feel uncomfortable while biting, don’t ignore it. A loose, broken or fallen out filling is a severe problem that calls for professional attention.
How to deal with a Loose Filling?
1. Ease the sensitivity – Movement of the filling may make the site to become sore, sensitive or irritated. Washing your mouth with a warm salt solution can give you relief. You can even apply clove oil as a remedy. You can also use an ice pack to numb the tooth.
2. Do not panic –The most vital thing you should do is to remain calm. Generally, fillings can be reapplied immediately. But you should not wait too long to visit your dentist to ensure your teeth stay healthy.
3. Keep your mouth clean –When the filling becomes loose, the tooth cavity is exposed. Therefore, it is extremely important to keep your mouth clean. Try to chew from the opposite side of the mouth. Brush properly and remember to wash your mouth after every meal. Also gargle with antiseptic mouthwash.
4. Call the dentist –If you find any signs that detect a loose filling, you should immediately call the dentist in Pittsburgh, PA. Keep the filling so the dentist can figure out if it can be used or be replaced. The dentist will study the portion around the tooth and cavity fillings. It’s to ensure that there has been no growth of bacteria and the infection hasn’t reached the nerves of teeth. The dentist might have to prepare the tooth before a new filling can be applied. If left untreated, the problem might become more serious and require a root canal.
How to prevent a filling from coming loose?
Always remember that dental fillings are not permanent. They generally stay between 2 and 10 years. A person can increase the structural integrity and durability of their filling by taking a few precautions:
Select a reputable and skilled dentist who will apply a filling in a way that will last long. You can always visit us at Omni Dental Shadyside, as we have the best doctors!
Avoid biting down and chewing hard things that could ruin the filling
Implement proper oral habits
Visit your dentist regularly to check on the health of the fillings
Consider a dental onlay or a crown which is far more durable process of restoring the tooth
Of course, your dentist will recommend the best treatment plan for you! Now, if you’re looking for a ‘Dentist near me’ in PA, then surely reach us at Omni Dental Shadyside to receive durable white fillings.