Many people suffer from crowded or misaligned teeth. Getting braces is one of the most apparent remedies for an orthodontic issue. Invisalign is a clear plastic aligner custom-made for your mouth.
There are benefits and drawbacks of utilizing Invisalign, just like anything else. They must be examined and replaced as they attempt to realign your teeth. Thanks to their clarity, adults, and teenagers like Invisalign because they are nearly unnoticeable.
Advantages of Invisalign Braces
Compared to traditional metallic braces, using Invisalign has several benefits. The transparent set of aligners has the following advantages:
- Comfort: Wearing Invisalign is significantly more pleasant on the body. There aren't any wires or brackets, so there's no need to be concerned about uncomfortable cuts or nicks in your mouth. The aligners don't have any sharp edges and resemble a mouthguard. They don't irritate your mouth and are smooth.
Since Invisalign is transparent, you won't have a mouth full of metal. Consequently, they are more aesthetically pleasing, and most people won't notice you're wearing them. As a result, you can smile without inhibition and feel unduly self-conscious. Adults favor this orthodontic treatment approach.
- Convenience: Because Invisalign has become commonplace for straightening teeth, you may not need to bother with metal braces. This makes them incredibly practical, especially given their broad availability.
- Removable: You may take out your Invisalign aligners to eat, brush your teeth, and floss. With braces, that is impossible to achieve. While getting braces on your teeth, it enables you to consume the foods you desire and maintain better dental hygiene, reducing your risk of gum disease. Unlike with traditional braces, you won't have to worry about food particles becoming caught.
- Minimal Maintenance: Cleaning and maintaining Invisalign aligners is minimal. They may become dingy, but you may revive them by brushing them with a toothbrush dipped in water and bleach. Any stains can be removed by giving them a minute of scrub time.
Issues with Invisalign
Unfortunately, Invisalign has some drawbacks as well. The drawbacks of clear aligners are as follows:
- Expensive: The cost of Invisalign is one of its main drawbacks. Since they are not covered by dental insurance, you should budget between $3,500 and $8,000 for them. In other words, you might want to reconsider getting Invisalign if your finances are tight, you're short on cash, or you don't want to take money out of your child's college savings plan.
- Attachments: Increasingly, more Invisalign-related attachments are becoming the standard. The wings are often enamel ridges that adhere to your teeth like the brackets found on traditional braces. The aligners fit better and can move your teeth into their correct positions more quickly when the attachments snap. Additionally, extensions make Invisalign considerably more apparent, which may make you appear to be wearing traditional braces more.
- Mandatory 22-Hour Wear Per Day: Invisalign must be worn for at least 22 hours daily. You are often only supposed to take them out when eating and to brush your teeth. As a result, you will need to wear them whether you are going on a date or to a party.
- Tooth Ache: When you get fitted for new Invisalign aligner trays, they can be uncomfortable and even painful. The feeling of "pressure" you may experience as your teeth get used to a new set of aligners can be uncomfortable, even though the orthodontist most likely refers to it. While your teeth adapt to your Invisalign, you might wish to use a painkiller to help with this discomfort.
- Convenience: Invisalign aligners might be a hassle. You have to take them off to eat, so you can experience shame when you eat them. You must brush your teeth before putting them back in your mouth after meals. This necessitates many brushings each day.
Although many patients find Invisalign braces to be very convenient, there are unquestionable drawbacks to clear aligners. Make sure Invisalign is the best option for straightening your teeth because what works for one person might not work for you. These are a few of the main advantages and disadvantages of Invisalign.
Visit to schedule an appointment with one of our dentists in Shadyside to determine if Invisalign is the proper treatment for you. Here are some additional insider hints for Invisalign users.